Learning Challenge: Empathy

Wow, that story was so inspiring! All teachers should do that!! If they get responses like that, that's incredible! But I see a downside: since it's anonymous, it can be hard to help the students that need help, especially if they want to remain anonymous. I was surprised to see that so many students opened up and shared some big, serious things. Once, in a camp group I was in, we were all supposed to write instances of something on a note card and then the cards would be randomly dispersed and read out loud. So many girls shared stories of abuse and other horrible things, it was really eye-opening and sad to know the pain others had experienced. I think the biggest way to practice compassion and empathy is to "put yourself in their shoes". Although this is a cliche, I think it holds some value.

Life Seeds - Flickr

Comments